Adverb position and verb raising

Joan Bresnan bresnan at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Apr 6 20:32:39 UTC 2002

I agree with Yehuda's observation:

"I think we need to be careful in borrowing arguments for constituency from
constituent-structure-centric theories. In such theories, constituency is
essentially a representation of grammatical functions, and true
constituency argumentation tends to be weak to nonexistent. So, "it's an
adjunct so it must be in adjoined position" becomes something in need of no
additional argument (kind of like "every language must have a VP because
that's how subjects are distinguished from objects")."

With regard to Alex's observations about variable positioning of
nonfinite verbs and adverbs in Catalan, let's not forget the "short
verb movement" analysis (the nonfinite verb also moves outside of VP,
but to an intermediate position (head of an AgrP) between the T (=I)
and the VP--Pollock).  Such an analysis could also be easily adopted
in LFG, though Pollock's arguments for exploding I in this way in
English and French are pretty convincingly demolished by Iatridou in
her LI remark and reply in 1990.  She does, however, maintain V-to-I
for finite auxiliaries in English and finite verbs in French.

Joan

[...]