Prevailing approaches do not have a computational lexicon

Mark Johnson Mark_Johnson at Brown.edu
Thu Oct 10 00:58:57 UTC 2002

Hi Carl,

I think I understand the second issue here, and in fact I think that LFG
and R-LFG don't suffer from it precisely because c(onstituent)-structure
isn't integrated into the logic of features (i.e., there isn't a single
"logic" of all of LFG, but instead it consists of a heterogenous
collection of different but coupled "logics").

Is the problem as follows?  Suppose a substring is ambiguous; it has one
analysis as an NP ACC, and another completely different one as an NP
DAT.  In a type-logical system or similar in which the feature structure
logic (specifically, disjunction and conjunction) is tightly integrated
with the c-structure (so to speak) so that there's only really one
logic, one would then be able to prove that the string also derives the
"over-specified" category NP DAT /\ ACC.  But unfortunately ambiguous
strings don't behave like the lexically neutral forms "Frauen", showing
that the "/\" cannot be regular logical conjunction.  (But it still
could be a different binary operator in a multi-modal logic, couldn't it?)

The reason why I think that LFG and R-LFG don't suffer from this is that
each distinct c-structure is associated with its own f-structure; an
f-structure is formed from the constraints from exactly one c-structure,
so this merging of features from different c-structures simply cannot occur.

Have I got it right (more or less)?

Thanks,

Mark