predicate cleft and adverbial scope

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 18 18:24:30 UTC 2003

[see original messages below]

Philippa,

What I was really talking about was the following situation:

1. You have two verbs, a "dummy" in the cleft and the "real" verb below
(it was the latter that I meant by the cleft target; i.e., the target of
the cleft operation)

2. On my proposal, the upstair's verbs s-structure node, call it S, was
identified with that of the lower verb. So although the upstairs verb is
a dummy and contributes no semantics of its *own*, it's node in s-strucure
is the same as the node of the verb below.

3. This means that if you have an adverb in the clefted material, nothing
special needs to be said about it. It can contribute a normal adverbial
resource of the form S -o S. Due to the identification of the upper and
lower verbs, the effect is for the adverb to take scope over the lower
verb's resource (which is the same as the upper verb's resource). In this
manner the right adverbial results are achieved without positing anything
special about the adverb at all.

It's not quite right, I think, to say that this means that the verb is
taking scope over *both* verbs, because with respect to scope there is
just the one s-structure node that can be scoped over.

Could you send me some of the data you have in mind? I can't look at it
right away, but I promise to look at it soon.

Best,
Ash