Predication with _beautiful of face_

Emily M. Bender ebender at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Nov 19 03:40:32 UTC 2003

Howdy Fred!

This isn't exactly and LFG answer, but it seems to me
that you could get somewhere by saying that the adjectives
do some semantic funny business --- they introduce two
predications, the one you'd expect (`weak') and also
a possession predication. Then, rather than making their
SUBJ a semantic feature of the weak predication, they
relate it to the other one, while relating the PP
complement to both.  I'm not quite sure what multiple
predications introduced by the same head would look
like in LFG, but I guess it would just be a question
of positing another f-structure somewhere.  This idea
would be pretty straightforward to implement in HPSG
though.  The whole issue raises interesting questions about
how semantic the GF features are in LFG, or, alternatively,
to what extent s-structure has to parallel f-structure.

(Given the general approach, I'd imagine s-structure
wouldn't have to be that tied down, I'm just out of
practice with LFG :-)

Emily