Predication with _beautiful of face_

Joan Bresnan bresnan at csli.Stanford.EDU
Fri Nov 21 05:13:58 UTC 2003

Hi.
For the "weak of mind", "slender of body" examples, you suggest a
possible analysis in which "weak" or "slender" is predicated of the
object of the preposition `of', which is the possession of the
subject: He is weak of mind => His mind is weak, etc.  One could
certainly do c- to f-structure  gymnastics to produce these relations,
but I wonder whether that is the right kind of approach...

Why don't we say:

   He is checkered of coat.  ==> His coat is checkered.
   He is happy of bulldogs.  ==> His bulldogs are happy.
   He is beaufiful of sports cars. ==> His sports cars are beautiful.
   He is expensive of school. ==> His school is expensive.
   He is hairless of chihuahua?  ==> His chihuahua is hairless.

It seems to me that in the "A of N" construction, the A really is
predicated of the subject, and the `of' phrase semantically restricts
the adjectival property to something which is an inherent part or
property of the subject.

I am not familiar with the Arabic construction, though.   Perhaps it
is not so restricted?

Your query raises the important issue of how far
f-structure should be semantically motivated.  You may have seen the
very interesting paper on this topic by Helge Dyvik, given at LFG 99
in Manchester: "The Universality of F-structure: Discovery or
Stipulation? The Case of Modals".

Best wishes,

Joan Bresnan