Predication with _beautiful of face_

Yehuda N. Falk msyfalk at mscc.huji.ac.il
Sat Nov 22 17:08:31 UTC 2003

I haven't seen the Kuhn stuff, so I can't comment on the representation of
"the baby is partially blue". But I'm not sure that this is analogous. I
don't think we would say that a giraffe is partially long, or that someone
with blue eyes is partially blue. (And I find "blue of face" ungrammatical,
as does a non-linguist I just asked.) The closest colloquial construction
for, say, "long of neck" would be "long-necked". So even for English, it
seems unlikely to me that we would want to say that the adjective itself is
predicated of the SUBJ.

--Yehuda