Predication with _beautiful of face_

Joan Bresnan bresnan at csli.Stanford.EDU
Sat Nov 22 18:50:21 UTC 2003

Yehuda Falk wrote:

> don't think we would say that a giraffe is partially long, or that someone
> with blue eyes is partially blue. [...]   it
> seems unlikely to me that we would want to say that the adjective itself is
> predicated of the SUBJ.

That's my point: the adjective itself is not predicated of the
subject when there is a restrictive modifier on the adjective, as with
"partially blue".  The "of N" modifiers are different from adverbs
like "partially", but I'm suggesting that they might be analogous in
restricting the meaning of the adjective so that it applies only to
some part or inherent aspect of the subject.

Joan