Fwd: Island effects

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 15 20:39:54 UTC 2004

Hi Andrew

I'm not aware of a lot of literature on islands in LFG, but here is some
that I know of and hopefully other list members will include more. BibTex
entries are given below.

Kaplan and Zaenen's (1989) paper on long-distance dependencies using
outside-in (rather than inside-out) functional uncertainty is relevant, in
that it talks about restrictions on terminal elements in extraction paths,
but I don't recall them specifically discussing islands.

The chapter on long-distance dependencies in Dalrymple (2001) discusses
extraction paths in details (although she doesn't use the term island, I
don't think). See especially p. 396 and surrounding material.

I discuss islands in a couple of places in my thesis (Asudeh 2004).
Chapter 6, on Irish resumptives, is releveant, especially p. 217ff. on
wh-islands. I'm not sure if this gets at your wh-in-situ question, but it
might do. Islands are discussed in some detail in chapter 8, on processing
of non-grammaticized, resumptive-like pronouns. They are discussed
throughout the chapter, and especially scattered through pp. 295-317
(the PDF is downloadable from my web site, do a search maybe).

Both Dalrymple (2001) and Asudeh (2004) also treat extraction and islands
in terms of outside-in functional uncertainty. I discuss the relevance of
this in comparison to islands in MP/P&P and TAG in chapter 8 of my thesis
(pp. 315-317).

Ash

@InCollection{kaplan;zaenen89,
  author = 	 {Ronald M. Kaplan and Annie Zaenen},
  title = 	 {Long-distance dependencies, constituent structure, and
functional uncertainty},
  booktitle = 	 {Alternative Conceptions of Phrase Structure},
  crossref =	 {baltin;kroch89},
  pages = {17--42},
  note =	 {Reprinted in \citet[137--165]{dalrymple;ea95}}
}

@Book{baltin;kroch89,
  editor =	 {Mark Baltin and Anthony Kroch},
  title = 	 {Alternative Conceptions of Phrase Structure},
  publisher = 	 {University of Chicago Press},
  year = 	 1989,
  address =	 {Chicago},
}

@Book{dalrymple;ea95,
  editor =	 {Mary Dalrymple and Ronald M. Kaplan and John T. Maxwell
and Annie Zaenen},
  title = 	 {Formal issues in {L}exical-{F}unctional {G}rammar},
  publisher = 	 {CSLI},
  year = 	 1995,
  address =	 {Stanford, CA},
}

@Book{dalrymple01,
  author =	 {Mary Dalrymple},
  title = 	 {{Lexical Functional Grammar}},
  publisher = 	 {Academic Press},
  year = 	 2001,
  address =	 {San Diego, CA},
}

@PhdThesis{asudeh04-phd,
  author = 	 {Ash Asudeh},
  title = 	 {Resumption as Resource Management},
  school = 	 {Stanford University},
  year = 	 {2004}
}