Island effects

Ron Kaplan kaplan at PARC.COM
Tue Nov 16 07:11:43 UTC 2004

We did talk about island constraints in that paper, in terms of
restrictions on the nonterminal elements of the extraction paths, not
just the terminal elements.  Part of the argument in favor  of
functional uncertainty (as opposed to the conventional approach of what
might be called "phrasal uncertainty") was that whether or not a node
acts as an island depends on the function it is assigned, not just its
category.  Thus a relative clause S might form an island while a
complement S would not, distinguished not by category but by function
(RELMOD vs COMP, say).  This is independent of whether the uncertainty
is stated outside-in or inside-out (the latter was introduced later in
part as a way of dealing with some cases of wh-in-situ).

--Ron