LFG and expletives

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 17 18:05:07 UTC 2004

Nina,

I've done some work on expletives in the context of copy raising, where
you get some quite interesting behaviour. The places to look are in a
2002 paper and especially in chapter 9 of my thesis (references below,
both available online at www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/personal/asudeh/). I
argue that English copy raising shows that the subject condition in LFG
must involve c-structure and cannot be stated in purely f-structural
terms.

Ash

----

Ash Asudeh (2004). Resumption as Resource Management. Ph.D. thesis,
Department of Linguistics, Stanford University.

Asudeh, Ash (2002). Richard III. In Mary Andronis, Erin Debenport, Anne
Pycha and Keiko Yoshimura (eds.), CLS 38: The main session. Chicago, IL:
Chicago Linguistic Society.