Quantifier Float in LFG

peter hurst peter at peterhurst.com
Wed Oct 11 00:08:35 UTC 2006

Hi there,

As part of my research into reciprocals, I need to come to terms with
quantifier float in Germanic languages (English and Icelandic in
particular). I was wondering if there has been any work on quantifier
float in LFG? I am aware of the work by Peter Jenks on Thai.

The kind of sentences I'm looking at are (1) and (2) below:

(1) The patients each saw the doctor.
(2) The tables cost $100 each.

At this stage, I am leaning towards an analysis where in the f-structure
of the clause, the floated quantifier is treated as some sort of pronoun
in apposition with its antecedent. This is for two reasons. The first is
that quantifiers can often stand by themselves in a sentence (see (3,4)
below). This suggests they can have a PRED. The second is that floated
quantifiers may be stacked (for some speakers at least) see (5,6).

(3) And so each saw his own version of the wall.
(4) Each of the men saw the doctor.
(5) I sat up and gave them both each a hug.
(6) Gates and Ballmer, both each earned $616,667 in salary in the fiscal
year ended in June...

In sentences like (7) below, I would analyze the quantifier as a
determiner rather than a pronoun:

(7) Each man saw the doctor.
(8) * (The/a) man each saw the doctor

Note that the noun in (7) is required to be singular and as (8) shows,
these types of quantifiers can't be floated.

I will summarize any responses and post them back to the list. Thanks,
peter hurst.