English PS-rules for NP/QP

George Aaron Broadwell g.broadwell at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 9 16:25:30 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

Can someone direct me to some phrase structure rules for English NP/QP that
would actually produce the correct results for examples like the following?

all John's red books
John's few red book
those few books
most of those books
all five of those books

This is for classroom use and not for any highly theoretical purpose -- I
would just like some rules and lexical entries for quantifiers, however
clunky, that would produce the right results for English.  Most English
syntax books on my shelf say nothing at all interesting about this.  The
closest thing I find to a systematic discussion of this is McCawley's Syntactic
phenomena of English.  But I am probably missing some key source, and would
appreciate a pointer.

Thanks
Aaron Broadwell