CFP: Workshop on case at LSA Institute

Cathryn Donohue donohue at UNR.EDU
Thu Jan 11 06:51:10 UTC 2007

call for papers

Workshop on Empirical approaches to morphological case

(LSA Summer Institute, Stanford, CA, 21 July, 2007)

In recent years, new and varied approaches to the empirical study of
morphological case have significantly increased our understanding of
this empirical phenomenon. These approaches have informed more
refined theoretical models which necessarily address interface
questions, especially the interface of morphological case with
semantics. Such studies may rely on corpora, experimental evidence,
and the investigation of (synchronic and diachronic) variation and
how it bears on synchronic analyses.

The aim of this workshop is to establish greater awareness of the
benefit of different empirical approaches to the study of case, the
insights that such studies provide, and how they inform theoretical
models. Possible research questions may include, but need not be
limited to, the following:

- expanding our understanding of case phenomena through novel
empirical methods

- investigating how morphological case interfaces with other aspects
of the grammar

- hypothesizing on how this interface should be modelled theoretically

Talks will be 25 minutes long, with 5 mins for questions, in addition
to the general discussion sessions during the day.

Invited presentations will be given by:

Andrew Spencer (Essex)

Miriam Butt (Konstanz)

Joan Maling (Brandeis) and Jongsup Jun (Hankuk)

Abstracts: Please send your anonymous abstracts of no more than 500
words (1 page) to Cathryn Donohue at: case07 at gmail.com. Please
include authors details and title of paper in the body of the message
and attach the abstract to the message, ideally as a pdf file.
Abstracts are due on March 1st 2007. Notification will be sent out no
later than March 21st.

Outlines: As there will be discussion of the papers, we will ask that
you provide us with an outline of your paper in advance of the
workshop, no later than July 7th.

Important dates:

Mar 1            Abstracts due (pdfs to be sent to: case07 at gmail.com)

Mar 21          Notification of acceptance

July 7            Outline of papers due (pdf to be sent to:
case07 at gmail.com)

July 21          Workshop