LFG 2008 - First call for papers (revised)

chris brew cbrew at ACM.ORG
Sun Nov 4 14:02:34 UTC 2007

I'm an interested observer, not (yet) a regular submitter to LFG
conferences, but:
- By restricting submissions, you run the risk of missing the best work, if
it so happens that
  someone is doing more good work than you expect. If you do not impose
restrictions, you run the      risk that fewer research groups will have
accepted papers, so some people who would benefit from
 attending the conference do not do so.

- If reviewing standards are high enough to ensure that bad work is rejected
and good work accepted, it doesn't matter whether multiple submissions are
allowed or not, since the strategy of gaming the system by producing
multiple submissions of less polished work will fail

- if there is evidence that people are trying to game the system in this
way, and that the reviewing process is failing to handle it appropriately,
two possible solutions exist. Either impose restrictions or tighten the
reviewing process. If there is no such evidence, why bother with the
restrictions anyway?

- The role of conferences is different in different subfields. At some
conferences the work presented is typically high-quality finished research,
at others the intent is to provide a venue for work in progress.
Often, a publication in one of the former conferences has as large an effect
on the future of the author as does a publication in a good journal. If this
is happening, fairness dictates that the review process should be entirely
focussed on ensuring that the best work gets in. Most CL conferences are
like this. You can argue about whether the reviewing process is indeed
achieving these goals, but everybody agrees that the attempt should be made.
It would be unfortunate if someone was denied the crucial publication
because of rules that are not quality-related.

This is not so critical if the intent is to provide a venue for work in
progress, and not so much rides on acceptance and rejections. In that case I
think restrictions could make sense. Maybe the LFG community has to decide
what the conference is for?