LFG 2008 - First call for papers (revised)

A. B. Bodomo abbodomo at YAHOO.COM.HK
Wed Nov 14 06:36:42 UTC 2007

Here is the call for papers of the WCCFL:
  Note the following:

  "Submissions are limited to 1 individual and 1 joint abstract per author, or 2 joint abstracts per author."

  I find this restriction very reasonable, simple, practicable, and indeed very fair. Some form of restriction on paper submissions for the annual LFG conferences are necessary. We are on the right path with the recent restrictions imposed by our Committee. Thanks!

  Best,
  Adams

    The 27th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics

May 16 - 18, 2008
  University of California-Los Angeles
  Los Angeles, California, USA

  Invited Speakers
  Hagit Borer – USC
  Elliott Moreton – UNC
  Liina Pylkkänen – NYU

  General Session
  Abstracts from all areas of formal linguistics and from any theoretical perspective are invited for 20-minute talks in the general session.

  Special Session I: Experimental Syntax, Semantics, and Pragmatics
  Support for formal linguistic theories can often be found in empirical study. Abstracts that use objective measures to address issues in syntax, semantics, or pragmatics are invited for 20-minute talks in this special session.

  Special Session II: Explaining Phonological Typology: Channel or Analytic Bias?
  One problem in addressing phonological typology has been the compatibility of data with both cognitive and phonetic predispositions. This session solicits papers which address and attempt to tease apart the effects of such biases.

  Instructions for Abstract Submission
  Abstracts must be at most one page long on a letter-size sheet (8"1/2 by 11") with one-inch margins and typed in at least 11-point font.  An optional second page is permitted for data and references.  Abstracts must be anonymous.

Submissions are limited to 1 individual and 1 joint abstract per author, or 2 joint abstracts per author.

Abstracts must be submitted as a PDF through the conference website or in hard copy.

  We strongly encourage electronic submissions, which should be submitted at the website:
  http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/wccfl27/

  Hardcopy submissions should include the information below on a separate sheet, along with ten copies of the abstract.

    Author Information
  Name(s) of author(s)
  Title of talk
  Area of specialization
  Affiliation(s)
  E-mail address(es)
  Postal address(es)

  Hard copies should be sent to the WCCFL 27 postal address:

  WCCFL 27 Abstracts Committee
  Department of Linguistics
  University of California-Los Angeles
  3125 Campbell Hall
  UCLA
  Los Angeles, CA 90095-1543
  USA

  Deadline for Submission
  January 15, 2008, 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time
(Abstracts must be received by this time.)
  Notification of Acceptance
  Mid-February, 2008

  Electronic submissions will receive an email confirmation of the receipt of the abstract.  For those submitting their abstracts through regular mail, please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you wish to receive confirmation.

  Please visit our web-site for more information:

  http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/wccfl27/

Anette Frank <frank at cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
  Dear all,

in my view, it is the role of the reviewers to judge the quality of
submissions.
Regarding the shape of the program, it is up to the program committee to
take
final decisions. It is the PC that oversees the results of the reviewing
process,
and should be in a position to judge both the quality of the papers,
based on
the reviewers' work, and the overall diversity of topics and approaches,
including
different modes of presentation.

So in my view, both quality and diversity can be ensured by the staged
process
of peer reviewing and the final decisions by the PC. It should be understood
that the PC should respect the reviewers' judgements. But as far as
diversity
can be improved *while keeping quality standards*, it should be ok if the PC
makes choices that may slightly diverge from a numeric, ranked scale of
reviewing scores - as long as they can be justified.

As long as free submission is possible, such a staged process also serves as
a sanity check: in case the PC feels forced or tempted to rule out
high-quality
papers to the advantage of low-ranked papers, it becomes evident that
something goes wrong. In that case, there should be reflections and open
discussions regarding the focus of the conference.
Such discussions would not emerge if there are forced restrictions of
submission.

In order to make this a transparent process, it should be a rule that
the PC
communicates their decisions to the involved reviewers and consults them
regarding the final program selections. This way, the reviewers have a
view of the
overall selections made and have a chance to protest in case they think the
process is not sane.

My experience from the past is that at some stages at least, there was
no consultation
with the reviewers when the program was set up, which in some cases led to
irritations. I don't know what the current policy is, but I still think
this is a good way,
anyhow, to help shape and justify final paper selections, and it could
naturally involve
discussions about justifiable measures to ensure diversity.

Kind regards,
Anette

--
Anette Frank