[LFG] app for teaching phrase structure diagramming?

Damir Cavar damir at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 10 21:38:29 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,

We developed parsers and grammar editors in JavaScript to run in
Browsers, but also in mobile ones (iOS or Android). You can edit in the
browser your grammar (can be a plain phrase structure grammar) and put
in a sentence, and fire up for example an Early parser to draw you one
or more trees. One can actually rewrite that by hiding the grammar and
allowing students to put in bracketed notation parses (that get drawn
actually), and compare those to the ones a parser and grammar would
generate. The code change is simple in our code-base. Your idea is
actually cool.

I wanted to put the page up again, all went down with the relocation of
LINGUIST. Next week, if you remind me, I can send the URL out, or send
you the code and installation. I'm back in Bloomington this weekend. We
could use the next week exam session to convert the app to something
that you have in mind.

Cool!

Best wishes

Damir

On 12/10/2014 03:53 PM, Stephen Wechsler wrote:
> Does anyone know of an app for teaching phrase structure analysis?
> What I am looking for is a program in which the student/user is given
> a sentence of a language (and perhaps a set of PS rules); the user
> makes a phrase structure diagram of the sentence, and the app
> indicates whether the diagram is correct or not, where correctness is
> determined by what the teacher has programmed into it.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers.
>
> --Steve
>
> Stephen Wechsler
> Dept. of Linguistics
> The University of Texas

Dr. Damir Cavar
Co-director and Associate Research Scientist
Faculty in the Department of Linguistics
Indiana University
Moderator of The LINGUIST List
http://cavar.me/damir/