[ParGram] semantic roles for LFG grammar engineering

Martin van den Berg mhvdberg at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 3 04:35:50 UTC 2014

The problem is, the more roles you have, the more you, and your annotators, will be confused about what the right one is, and annotator agreement will go down the drain (FrameNet is a good example of this, the roles for similar words are often incommensurable). Point is, there are only a few real high-level thematic roles (7 seems in the ball park), and anything more will

I agree that looking at John Sowa’s work is probably a good starting point, an due has a good set of basic ones
(http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/thematic.htm is probably a good simple version).

To be honest, we tried to do something at Powerset, and eventually gave (more or less) up and went with whatever the XLE put out with some minor massaging.

So: vote for Sowa

Cheers
Martin