[XLE] [ParGram] semantic roles for LFG grammar engineering

Anette Frank frank at CL.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Mon Feb 3 22:37:58 UTC 2014

Dear Adam,

I am not familiar with Sowa's system.

FrameNet roles have the advantage that you will be able to assign an
appropriate
role to any argument, given that the roles are frame-specific. At the
other extreme
you have the PropBank labeling scheme, which implements sth. like Dowty's
Proto-Roles plus some extra arguments and adjuncts. It's a small
inventory, and
the same across all predicates. Since they are close to syntax they are
more easy
to automatically assign, but they do not convey a clear semantics.
VerbNet lies in the middle, but the assignment of roles is more
difficult, and so is the
mapping from syntax to semantics.

Your choice will depend a lot on what you want to do with the
representations and
how much effort you can or want to invest in annotation and learning a
mapping.

Kind regards, Anette