(2) International Network for Educational Linguistics as a Discipline (INFELAD)

Educational Linguistics educational_linguistics at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 7 08:59:18 UTC 2002

Thank you very much indeed for those who have responded so promptly to the
proposed idea of establishing an INFELAD for academic/professional purposes.

Based on some of your enthusiasm and interest, would you mind now giving
*your* views on some of the questions raised:

1) Why such a network?
2) Would it be necessary?
3) What would be its purposes?
4) What would be its distinctive contributions?
5) How would it differ from some other similar networks?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If one asked me for some "hints" for further discussion, I would try to say
something randomly, hopefully to stimulate more ideas.

I suppose educational linguistics is drawn mainly (though not necessarily
exclusively) from both *language* and *education* studies, two very broad
areas (arenas).

Language studies include linguistics, philology, semiotics, etc.
Education studies include learning, pedagogy, policy, etc.

I feel that there may be some huge potential for an interface between the
two in creating a discipline which can better illuminate language and
education issues. Therefore, it would be necessary to have a discipline (or
a field) of educational linguistics. What do you think?

~ ~ ~

A (virtual) network would hopefully better promote genuine *diversity* and
introduce true *novelty* in discussions.

Also, such a network could break the boundaries between academic and
professional worlds, both of which are currently contributing to language
and education issues.

Besides, it could best avoid hierarchy and bureaucracy in the academia so
that different people, no matter whether one is a school pupil or a
university dept chair, have the equal chance and right to express their
ideas freely and comfortably.

Finally, the network could hopefully challenge the current (predominantly
western) academic norms and conventions so that *genuinely* and
*fundamentally* different ideologies and practices could be invited.
Therefore such a network would be indispensable for academic/professional
purposes. What do *you* think?

So, what is *your* unique idea? It doesn't have to be related to any of the
above "hints" if you like (as long as it is relevant).

Please try to think of something which supports a brand new (virtual)
network for academic/professional exploration of educational linguistic
issues.

What do you (and those whom you know) think should be the relationship
between *applied* and *educational* linguistics?

Hope to hear from any of you (again) soon. Have a good weekend!

*Please note that this is purely for academic/professional purposes.*