Native Language Classes Aim to Ease Transition to English

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 17:35:16 UTC 2004

Hi Stan,

> I think the number of monolinguals in the New World
is increasing, as indigenous people and immigrants
switch to Spanish, English, and Portuguese only.

Although of course, being IMMIGRANTS, they push up the
numbers of bilinguals as they arrive and learn the L2.
Their kids may well grow up monolingual, but as long
as new waves of migrants continue to arrive (as they
do), I think it can safely be said that immigrants
contribute more to swelling the ranks of New World
bilinguals, not diminishing them.

> I would venture to
> say that urbanization in the Americas results in
> people becoming monolingual in Spanish, English, or
> Portuguese in a relatively short time. However,
> urbanizaton in Africa and Asia seems to me to have
> the opposite effect.

Good point!
A.