Aland-blog on language policy

Francis M Hult fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 4 16:46:28 UTC 2007

The right to buy land, vote, etc. on Åland (aka hembygdsrätt) is guaranteed to those
who in 1952 had been living on the islands for at least 5 years continuously.  The
right extends to their descendants (as long as at least one parent also has
'hembygdsrätt' and the residency requirement is satisfied.  If one takes up residence
off the islands for more than five years, one loses the hembygdsrätt.  One can also
petition for it.  A Finnish citizen who lives on the islands continuously for at least
five years, and can demonstrate 'satisfactory' knowledge of Swedish, can request
hembygdsrätt.  There are some other legal loopholes too, with which I'm not familiar.
On the application, one needs to submit documentation about one's knowledge of Swedish,
though the application is not explicit about what counts as such documentation.  I'm
going to inquire.

For those who read Swedish, information is available here:
http://www.regeringen.ax/kansli/administrativa.pbs

Francis