Aland-blog on language policy

Christina Paulston paulston+ at pitt.edu
Tue Apr 10 14:37:03 UTC 2007

I don't really think Swedish speaking Finns ( called Finn Swedes) can
be called ethnically Swedish because over the hundred of years you have
had so much exogamy and such similar cultures.  I would expect most of
them to identify first as Finns  nationally and only second as Swedes
and then not as Swedish Swedish. At this point the labels make little
sense. Tove, are you there - how do you feel.  But Hult should have
answered your question.  I just came across the info in a footnote in
some EU newsletter (when we still had paper and ink).  I am grateful to
Francis for the elucidation.  Christina