Canada: Moving forward together to promote diversity

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:04:28 UTC 2007

Moving forward together to promote diversity - A respectful and coherent
integration policy

    MONTREAL, March 19 /CNW Telbec/ - The Minister of Immigration and
Cultural Communities, Lise Theriault, today announced the Quebec Liberal
Party's policy statement for cultural communities and immigration under
the theme "Moving diversity forward". The statement is in continuity with
the results provided by our government in terms of immigration and
integration.  "During the past four years, we have increased the access to
regulate occupation, employment, recognition of diplomas and competencies,
financing of community groups and intercultural relations and the increase
of funding and accessibility to learn the French language. Today, we are
proposing concrete measures that will enable us to continue together for a
successful Quebec." said Lise Theriault.

    The Quebec Liberal Party program that proposes to invest $ 15 million,
to implement the action plan to fight racism and discrimination. In
addition the 2007-2008 economic statement includes an increase of 5,3
million dollars for French immersion and 3,5 million dollars to continue
the recognition of foreign diplomas.  In addition to these commitments,
the Quebec Liberal Party will put in place measures that will allow us to
select our immigrants according to the needs of the workforce. Expand and
improve the PRIIME program to larger size businesses and provided them
with the necessary tools to manage cultural diversity.

    "I am proud of this Policy Statement that puts forward real solutions
to the difficulties that can be experienced in the cultural communities.
These propositions were decided in collaboration with them unlike the
silence of the ADQ on the subject and the eternal divisions proposed by
the PQ," said Minister Thriault. For further information: Isabelle
Melanon, Directrice aux communications, Parti liberale du Quebec, (514)
288-4364