Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:42:00 UTC 2008

 In the previous message about Air Berlin's refusal to use Catalan on routes
to areas
where Catalan is official, there was a cartoon that failed to make it into
the message.

[image: Air Berlin image]The text accompanying this is full of
ethno-linguistic  stereotypes.  As far as I understand it,
it says (in dialect) "If they come here to Bavaria, the Pig-Prussian
[SauPreisischen] Catalans
better speak Bavarian."  The next word is not legible to me, but I think it
contains
the word "Turks".  The image shows a red-faced man in Lederhosen, mountains
in the background, slamming his fist down on the table so hard that his hat
flies off and he spills his beer.

Anybody have any comments on this?  I'm not sure what a Bavarian is doing in
cartoon about Air Berlin and Catalan, but perhaps there's a subtext I am too

culturally insensitive to pick up on.

HS

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a