Gender neutrality and language

Ann Evans annevans123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 15:09:33 UTC 2008

Thanks to everyone for enlightening responses.  I have introduced my
students to the plural solution, and that is not always graceful, but it is
a beginning.  "One" would also be useful in many cases, but I think the
Queen's use of "one" for "I" has made it sound snooty.

...and I also would like to take back my use of the word "degenerated," as
what I meant was that the discussion had slipped off subject.  My personal
reaction was something like humor to hear God injected into a discussion of
grammar, when God's children all over the world have created such differing
and fascinating grammar rules, most of which would clearly contradict the
rules of other cultures, also inhabited by His, Her, or Its children.