Gender neutrality and language

Christina Paulston paulston+ at pitt.edu
Tue Mar 4 17:40:11 UTC 2008

I must protest! "degenerated into a religious discussion" -- there are
few topics so interesting to a sociolinguist - on several levels - as
language and religion and very much left unexplored.  There are John
Sawyer's SACRED  LANGUAGES AND SACRED TEXTS, 1999, AND William
Samarin's LANGUAGE IN RELIGIOUS PRACTICE, 1976, but most of the
literature is to be found in articles spread all over creation, and
not very many at that. Bernard Spolsky's "Religion as a site of
language contact", ANNUAL REVIEW OF APPLIED LINGUISTICS, 2003 is a
place to start. Historians have written interesting stuff and Peter
Burke's writings are well worth exploring.  So are SIL people and
their dissertations.  Happy hunting, Jeff.  Christina