A few stories of interest

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Apr 16 19:28:59 UTC 2009

At Hal's request, I am forwarding a series of messages I posted on a different list I manage (the Edling List).  See below.  FMH

--
Francis M. Hult, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Web: http://faculty.coehd.utsa.edu/fhult/

****

Today's Messages from the Edling List:

* UNESCO lists Yiddish program on registry

* Cheyenne-Arapaho culture and language recalled and revived

* China to expand 9-year compulsory education in ethnic minority regions

* Keeping The Native Nipmuc Language Alive

* Mexico: Bilingual is better, especially on the border

* Pearson acquires Wall Street English for US$145 million

* Speaking English in Korean Culture

****

The Canadian Jewish News

UNESCO lists Yiddish program on registry

The Winnipeg Yiddish Women's Reading Circle recently received recognition from a UN agency.

The program, which features monthly readings in Yiddish of works by female authors, has been listed on the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Social and Cultural Organization) register of good practices in language preservation.

"It's taken a few years to get listed," says Jeanette Block, one of the reading circle's founders. "Ours is one of just eight groups and the only Yiddish group listed on the registry so far. The registry is getting one million hits a month."

Full story:

http://www.cjnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16683&Itemid=86

*******
Indian Country Today

Cheyenne-Arapaho culture and language recalled and revived

Language as the lifeblood of the people was a key theme in the 2009 Cheyenne-Arapaho Studies Conference held March 19.

The conference was part of the second annual "Cheyenne-Arapaho Revisited" reunion of members of northern and southern bands of the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribal nations in Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming and elsewhere.

Language learning has "got to be oral," said Dr. Richard Littlebear, president of Chief Dull Knife College, Northern Cheyenne Reservation, Lame Deer, Mont., a key presenter.

Full story:

http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/national/42815372.html <http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/national/42815372.html>

****
China View

China to expand 9-year compulsory education in ethnic minority regions

By 2010, more than 95 percent of the population of China's ethnic autonomous areas should have access to the nine-year compulsory education, said the National Human Rights Action Plan of China (2009-2010) released Monday by the Information Office of the State Council.

The government will continue to establish and develop schools and organize preparatory classes for ethnic minorities, adopt bilingual teaching systems and give preferential treatment to students of minority ethnic groups in enrollment in schools and universities, the plan said.

Full story:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/13/content_11177568.htm <http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/13/content_11177568.htm>

****
NPR

Keeping The Native Nipmuc Language Alive

Some scholars estimate that at the time of Columbus, there were roughly 300 native languages spoken in North America. Many of them are now extinct. But David White, an electrician in the small town of Brimfield, Mass., is on a mission - to save his native language, Nipmuc, from dying.

On busy days, his van doubles as an office. After placing an order for some parts, he travels to a modest, one-story home near Brimfield, where he installs some light switches.

But he's finding it challenging to explain what he's doing in Nipmuc: "I don't think there's any word for switch, or electricity for that matter. Maybe you could say ... "lightning" would be electricity, and lightning is ptoquahin," White says. "Caged lightning, I guess. I don't know how you'd say lightning in a cage, but I guess that's how you'd describe it."

Full story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103028551 <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103028551>

****

Caller-Times

Mexico: Bilingual is better, especially on the border

Tamaulipas, tucked beneath neighbor Texas, has declared itself Mexico's first bilingual state. The pronouncement received little attention in the U.S. media. But its bellwether importance should not be underestimated.

Tamaulipas has more than three million inhabitants. Its major cities are Nuevo Laredo, Ciudad Victoria and Tampico. The state has chosen to search out new global opportunities -- social, economic and technological -- by requiring its 320,000 public-school students to learn conversational English.

In February, Tamaulipas Gov. Eugenio Hernandez declared, "Our efforts are aimed at preparing students for a more competitive world filled with technology and English."

Full story:

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/apr/10/bilingual-is-better-especially-on-the-border/ <http://www.caller.com/news/2009/apr/10/bilingual-is-better-especially-on-the-border/>

****
Proactive Investors

Pearson acquires Wall Street English for US$145 million

FTSE 100 constituent, Pearson (LSE: PSON) announced that it had agreed to acquire Wall Street English from its parent company, Wall Street Institute for US$145 million.  Wall Street Institute is majority owned by private equity company The Carlyle Group.

Wall Street English provides language training to adults in China through 39 centres in seven cities, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.  Pearson said that it expects the business to generate approximately US$70 million in revenues in 2009, and achieved a compound annual growth rate of "more than 40%" between 2006 and 2008

Full story:

http://proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/5197/pearson-acquires-wall-street-english-for-us145-million-5197.html <http://proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/5197/pearson-acquires-wall-street-english-for-us145-million-5197.html>

****
The Korea Times

Speaking English in Korean Culture

By Richard E. Lucchesi

Though many might disagree, I believe that the biggest obstacle for Koreans to fluently learn English is their reluctance to fully grasp and accept western culture. Learning to speak any language as a second language is no small order, and requires years of dedicated study and considerable exposure to the language. Studying abroad is a big plus, but not necessary, as several European friends I'm acquainted with speak English fluently and have never lived in an English speaking country. A desire for true second language acquisition is, as well, a key factor.

A Korean growing up in Korea, contrary to those living in Europe, has a nearly overwhelming task to speak English naturally and fluently. For starters, Korean grammar is poles apart from that of English. This grammar challenge facing Koreans to learn English, however, is not an impossible endeavor, and many believe they can triumph over it with years of dedicated study.

Full story:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2009/04/181_43271.html <http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2009/04/181_43271.html>