[lg policy] "In Chinatown, Sound of the Future is Mandarin" (NYT)

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Oct 23 09:21:53 UTC 2009

> Question to the list members...Do you have some recommended sources that
> touch on the designation/conversation of Cantonese as a "dialect"?
>
>"In Chinatown, Sound of the Future is Mandarin"

[...]

> Cantonese, a dialect from southern China [...]

I don't know the sociolinguistics of China particularly, but this just
looks to me like the writing of a journalist who doesn't know them either!
There is a tendency for people from more-or-less monolingual societies who
are confronted with countries with complex linguistic situations (ie more
than one variety spoken) to call the individual varieties 'dialects', maybe
because they feel that they must in some way be subdivisions of some larger
national 'language'. So, in this case, I imagine that the journalist
described Cantonese as a 'dialect' because they thought of it as a
subdivision of 'Chinese', which is a 'language' (quotes to mark off what
the journalist might have thought, not to call the terms into question
generally). In other words, this piece in the _NYT_ doesn't mark any
general designation of Cantonese as a 'dialect' - it's simply sloppy
writing. I might have expected better from the _NYT_, but even the great
Homer nods occasionally, I suppose.

Does anyone else know different?

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) +44 (0)1904 432665
     (mobile) +44 (0)771 853 5634
Fax  +44 (0)1904 432673

BORDERS AND IDENTITIES CONFERENCE, JAN 2010:
http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/people/pages/hall.htm