[lg policy] Indigenous Language Institute: Native Language News

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 4 15:33:01 UTC 2010

 Forwarded From: Indigenous Language Institute <ili at ilinative.org>

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=28751.6879966163/rid=b24fceaa8ac2226478867fe4cb9d1bae>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/28751/7247b12cf5f4a1fc381552e6519cc0c4/6879966163/?mrid=b24fceaa8ac2226478867fe4cb9d1bae>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/28751/7247b12cf5f4a1fc381552e6519cc0c4/6879966163/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/28751/7247b12cf5f4a1fc381552e6519cc0c4/6879966163/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/28751/7247b12cf5f4a1fc381552e6519cc0c4/6879966163/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6879966163/208395154/216613741/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
      Santa Fe Indian School Students in ILI audio room

Dear Friends of ILI,

We are grateful for your support in making our 2010 achievements possible in
a year with such great economic challenges.

With your help ILI has provided services to over 400 individuals and more
than 45 tribes this year through our workshops, seminars and consultation
work. Your contributions supported our Research and Development work to
create new tools and methods to assist Native language learners and mentors,
parents, grandparents, teachers and youth.

The *TRICKLE UP EFFECT*: The hundreds we reach directly reach hundreds more,
as they go into classrooms and communities to affect those they serve. Your
contribution is multiplied immediately through this “trickle up” effect that
begins at the grassroots.

One of ILI’s interest is to motivate young people to use the heritage
languages by creating projects such as the Youth Language Fair held at the
Santa Fe Indian School (2000-2004) to make language creative, fun and
relevant for our children and youth. That model is now successfully
replicated in Oklahoma where for the past three years, they have had 3-day
Language Fairs with over 1,000 participants each year!

Your support makes a difference in ILI’s ability to research, teach and
share successful models with Native communities. Our office is located at
the Santa Fe Indian School, and we hear middle and high school students
talking to each other in Tewa, Keres, Navajo! This was not a familiar scene
a decade ago. The youth have indicated how eager they are to learn their
languages. We are heartened by this turn of tides.

Our work is *URGENT.* While the young ones are showing increased interest,
each year we are losing our Elder Speakers. Our children need to hear first
hand the language spoken by our Elder Speakers, so that they can learn
cultural practices, songs and stories expressed in the language.

Your generous contribution to ILI directly helps Native American nations and
families to revive the endangered heritage languages Everyday, Everywhere
for Everyone. Please join us in ensuring that the Ancient Voices live on.

Inee Slaughter
Executive Director

p.s. Please see list of what we accomplished in 2010 below.

------------------------------

*You Can Help Revive Endangered Native American Languages*

*Donate Online*

Go to www.ilinative.org/donate/<http://e2ma.net/go/6879966163/208395154/216613791/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/donate/>and
click on Donate Now button on the left. You will get to a secure page
that used Network for Good to process your credit card gifts.

*Donate by Mail or FAX*

You can download a Donation Form at
www.ilinative.org/donate<http://e2ma.net/go/6879966163/208395154/216613792/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/donate>(left
column). You can mail the form and your credit card information or
check gifts to:

            Indigenous Language Institute
            1501 Cerrillos Road, U-Building
            Santa Fe, New Mexico  87505

For donations by credit card, you can also FAX the filled out form to ILI
505-820-0316.

    SCAIL participants  Jordan Naranjo, Marissa Naranjo, Jeremy Montoya and
David Naranjo (SF Prep Students) meet Daryn McKenny (middle) at SILS Conf,
Eugene, OR.

   *ILI projects implemented in 2010 and ongoing* in 2011*

*Self-Study Course for American Indian Languages (SCAIL) Project**
*October 2009 – September 2010*
12-month project funded by ANA Language Grant to develop a learner-driven
language study course based on the hypothesis that language acquisition
relies on motivation in the learners. ILI partnered with Pueblo of Pojoaque
and Santa Fe Preparatory School to test the lesson guide with five high
school students (Marissa Naranjo, Jordan Naranjo, David Naranjo, Poqueen
Rivera, Jeremy Montoya) and a mentor (Laura Jagles). We are seeking funding
for the next phase of the project that is to analyze the data gathered from
the R&D phase and develop a full SCAIL course packet for Levels 1 and 2.

*Ancient Voices, Modern Tools Technology Workshops*** *
*2003 – Ongoing*
In 2010 ILI provided workshops on how to use computers and multimedia to
produce print and audiovisual materials in the Native languages. The
traveling regional workshops received support from IBM Corporation. This
project addresses 1) the need for language communities to easily create
books, signage, CDs, DVDs in their heritage languages to surround family and
community in the language, and 2) empowerment of individuals to create what
they need/want in their Native languages, such as grandpa’s stories, tribal
traditional stories, family history, recipes, children’s stories, etc.

     Laura Benavidez, instructor helps Mikenna Quintana, left, and Jazmin
Arquero (SFIS students) during a digital storytelling workshop. Photo
courtesy of Luis Sánchez Saturno/The New Mexican
   *Santa Fe Indian School Digital Storytelling Workshops* *
*December 2009 - April 2010*
ILI received a grant from the First Nations Development Institute to train
28 high school students of the Santa Fe Indian School (SFIS) to create
3-minute digital stories. Five students from SFIS who created digital
stories at ILI’s workshop entered their pieces in the Future Voices Film
Project contest, and two students were selected as winners in the category
of “Films in Heritage Language”. We hope to be able to continue this
training for the SFIS students.

*Collaboration with the National Geographic Society Enduring Voices Project*
*April 3-12, 2010 *
ILI worked with the National Geographic Society’s Enduring Voices Project
and Living Tongues Institute to provide Ancient Voices, Modern Tools
training to Enduring Voices Project participants from Jharkhand, India (Ho &
Santali languages), Hyderabad, India (Khasi), Madang, Papua New Guinea
(Matugar Panau), Paraguay (Chamacoco/Ishyr), Redding, California (Winnemem
Wintu), and Sac and Fox Nation (Sauk). Mr. Raward from Papua New Guinea
said: “*I could not believe my own eyes that in three days I created a short
film! You made it possible for me to produce the very first book in my
language! This is a historic moment. Because of what I learned here, I know
that our language will not die!*”

    CILO Catalog
   *Language Immersion for Native Children (LINC) Project **
*May 2010 – October 2011*
Language Immersion for Native Children (LINC) Project will expand training
opportunities for teachers, parents and community language advocates to
transmit their endangered language to children ages 0-8, using immersion
practices, the most effective way of cross-generational language
transmission. LINC is an 18-month project funded by the W.K. Kellogg
Foundation who brings together ILI and three longstanding training
institutes (see CILO below) to plan and launch a comprehensive training
strategy for language revitalization initiatives.

*Future Voices of New Mexico, High School Film and Photography Project* *
*Ongoing*
Since 2009 ILI is partnering with Future Voices of New Mexico, a youth
filmmaking project for high school students. Future Voices is a
collaboration and team effort with the Lensic Performing Arts Center,
Bonanza Creek Ranch and Santa Fe Photo Workshops that was inspired by
National Geographic’s All Road Film and Photo Project. ILI’s role is to
train Native American students the techniques of digital storytelling in the
heritage language and to sponsor the Films in Heritage Language category for
the annual Future Voices of New Mexico Film Contest.

    ILISS Conference October 11-12, 2010
  *Indigenous Language Institute Symposium Series: First of Series in 2010**
*October 11-12, 2010*
The Symposium Series address specific topics each year, examine the
topic/issue from different perspectives, and share experiences from the
ground level. The first of the ILI Symposium Series was launched in
Albuquerque, New Mexico October 2010 on the topic of “Native Language
Terminology Development” and was attended by 100+ participants representing
35 tribes/nations. Sponsors were: Seminole Tribe of Florida, Lannan
Foundation, National Indian Gaming Association, IBM, Microsoft Local
Language Program, Grants & Government Relations of Seminole Tribe of
Florida, Southwest Planning & Marketing. The next symposium will be in
October 2011 near Santa Fe, New Mexico.

*Consortium of Indigenous Language Organizations (CILO)*** *
 *August 2010 and onward*
The W. K. Kellogg Foundation grant helps establish CILO, a consortium of
Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival, American Indian
Language Development Institute, Indigenous Language Institute, and Oklahoma
Native Language Association. CILO combines over 100 years of collective
experience and human resources. United in our mission and goals, CILO will
increase training opportunities for anyone involved in language work.

        1501 Cerrillos Road U-Building | Santa Fe, NM 87505 US

This email was sent to *hfsclpp at gmail.com*. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=48362/id=28751.6879966163/rid=b24fceaa8ac2226478867fe4cb9d1bae>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=28751.6879966163/rid=b24fceaa8ac2226478867fe4cb9d1bae/signupId=48362>using