[lg policy] 'Haitian' or 'Haitian Creole'?

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Wed Jan 12 16:37:51 UTC 2011

[Copying my response from when Damien earlier put this up on
ling-ethnog at jiscmail.ac.uk - additional apologies for cross-posting...]

Trouble is, refusing to use the word Creole kinda goes along with the
idea that Creoles are substandard, something that nobody wants to be
speaking, far better to upgrade to a Language, etc.

I mean, the term Creole is a useful linguistic categorisation and it's
unlikely to go away; so it might be wiser (if countering stigma is the
name of the game) to try and turn things around and invest Creole with a
new prestige all its own.

Here are some actual references (much more useful than my ramblings):
Siegel (2001:184), Mufwene (1997:53), Lefebvre (2004:341-4).

Lefebvre, C. (2004). Issues in the Study of Pidgin and Creole Languages.
Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Mufwene, S. (1997). ‘Jargons, pidgins, creoles, and koinés: What are
they?’ In A. Spears & D. Winford (eds.), The Structure and Status of
Pidgins and Creoles, Amsterdam: John Benjamins (pp.35-70).
Siegel, J. (2001). ‘Koine formation and creole genesis’. In N. Smith &
T. Veenstra (eds.), Creolization and Contact, Amsterdam: John Benjamins
(pp.175-97).

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers