[lg policy] Norway bombings: Non-English language internet news sources and real-time searching

Gareth Price gareth.price at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jul 24 02:50:23 UTC 2011

The Norway bombing and shooting shows us that there is a need for
search solutions that let you follow foreign language news and social
web streams in real time.

It tuns out this was not the 9/11 of Norway, after all. This was our
Oklahoma bombing.

Norway is in shock, as you may imagine, and so are we, to tell the
truth. Pandia is a Norwegian project, as some of you may know, and we
both work and live in Oslo. At the moment, we are in the US, though,
following the terror attack from afar.

Following the news of the attacks from the US has been an interesting
experience. And there is a lesson here for the search engines and the
social media

The Norwegian news media was, for obvious reasons, far ahead of the
English language media. We therefore accessed the web sites of
Norwegian newspapers and TV channels, and listed in to the Web streams
of Norwegian radio stations.

The last point brings us to the main message of this post. There is a
need for tools that can provide real time translation of foreign
language news sources in times of crisis.

Full story: http://www.pandia.com/sew/3968-the-norway-bombing-foreign-languages-and-real-time-search.html

--
Dr. Gareth Price
Visiting Assistant Professor