[lg policy] UK:Call for Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd housing to be returned to public ownership ahead of protest

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 21:33:28 UTC 2015

Call for Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd housing to be returned to public
ownership ahead of protest

   - Jan 23, 2015 20:01 <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/by-date/23-01-2015>
   - By Hywel Trewyn <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/authors/hywel-trewyn/>

A demonstration will be held in Caernarfon tomorrow against the housing
association's decision to ditch a Welsh-language requirement for two jobs

   - 31 Shares
   - Share
   <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/call-cartrefi-cymunedol-gwynedd-housing-8508327#>
   - Tweet
   <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/call-cartrefi-cymunedol-gwynedd-housing-8508327#>
   - +1
   <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/call-cartrefi-cymunedol-gwynedd-housing-8508327#ICID=sharebar_google+>
   - Email
   <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/call-cartrefi-cymunedol-gwynedd-housing-8508327#>

<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/newsletters/daily-bulletin>
Robert Parry-Jones[image: Cllr Sian Gwenllian has resigned from the board
of a housing association following a row over the Welsh Language]
Cllr Sian Gwenllian resigned from the CCG board over the Welsh language row

The row over a housing association’s decision to advertise for two
management jobs without a Welsh-language requirement “would never have
happened” if the housing was still in public ownership, say critics.

A protest will be held in Caernarfon
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hundreds-expected-caernarfon-protest-over-8452649>
tomorrow
to try to persuade Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd - landlord of 6,300 former
council homes in Gwynedd - to change its mind.

The housing association’s board ditched the Welsh-speaking requirement for
the two £82,000-a-year resources and assets directors’ jobs to “maximise”
the chances of getting more applications.

Welsh Language Commissioner Meri Huws
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gwynedd-housing-group-urged-halt-8333563>
urged
CCG to delay the process while it carried out an investigation, but CCG
refused and will hold interviews in February
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gwynedd-housing-group-carry-recruiting-8344831>
.

CCG board member and county councillor Siân Gwenllïan
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cllr-sian-gwenllian-quits-housing-8291597>
felt
so strongly about CCG’s decision to go against its own language policy that
she resigned.

She said: “If public bodies such as CCG decide to change their policies, it
will undermine the Welsh language.”

Speaking ahead of the protest, Menna Machreth, Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg
chair in Gwynedd-Mon, said: “There are a very high percentage of the
housing association’s tenants who speak Welsh. Their decision is appalling.

“We must show not only our complete support for Siân Gwenllïan, but also
our commitment to demanding that the Welsh language is an essential skill
here in Gwynedd for jobs like these.

“If this is allowed to happen, it will undermine efforts to strengthen the
language not only in this area, but also in other parts of our country who
look to us for leadership.

“The Welsh language is an essential skill not only in Gwynedd, but across
Wales, and it’s about time for every organisation, whether it’s a local
authority or a housing association, to start realising that and implement
that policy.”

She added: “Gwynedd council
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/gwynedd-council> has a long and very
honourable record of working internally through the medium of Welsh.

“We are firm in our opinion as a movement that this would never have
happened under the council housing ownership.

“Unfortunately, more and more of our public services are being sold to
companies and private bodies these days, which in our opinion is certain to
mean that fewer Welsh language services are available.

“The answer is simple: give enough resources to Gwynedd Council so that
they can keep public services in public hands. Social housing need to be
brought back into public ownership.”

Among the speakers at tomorrow’s protest will be Dafydd Iwan, Simon Brooks,
Ieuan Wyn and Hywel Williams MP
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/hywel-williams>.

The protest will be held at Sgwâr y Pendist (Turf Square) at 12pm.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/call-cartrefi-cymunedol-gwynedd-housing-8508327