[lg policy] Language Policy and Human Development

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:19:31 UTC 2016

Language Policy and Human Development

December 13, 2016 By APSA
<http://www.politicalsciencenow.com/author/webapsanet-org/> Leave a Comment
<http://www.politicalsciencenow.com/language-policy-and-human-development/#respond>
[image: american_political-science-review]Language Policy and Human
Development

David D. Laitin, Stanford University
Rajesh Ramachandran, Goethe University Frankfurt

This article explores how language policy affects the socioeconomic
development of nation states through two channels: the individual’s
exposure to and (in reference to an individual’s mother tongue) linguistic
distance from the official language. In a cross-country framework the
article first establishes a robust and sizeable negative relationship
between an official language that is distant from the local indigenous
languages and proxies for human capital and health. To establish this
relationship as causal, we instrument language choice with a measure of
geographic distance from the origins of writing. Next, using individual
level data from India and a set of 11 African countries, we provide
microempirical support on the two channels—distance from and exposure to
the official language—and their implications for educational, health,
occupational and wealth outcomes. Finally, we suggest policy implications
based on our findings. *Read more.
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/american-political-science-review/article/language-policy-and-human-development/F0464F77F597CA8FA466758650718018>*

http://www.politicalsciencenow.com/language-policy-and-human-development/