[lg policy] Free seminar & wine reception to launch 'Sociolinguistic Research: Application and Impact', Mon 13 June, Birmingham (UK)

Mrs. Joshua Fishman Joshuaafishman at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 07:55:11 UTC 2016

Dear Dr. Sayers,

Mazl tov!If only  my husband, Joshua A. Fishman, were alive to see how
much the field he helped  create has grown. And what an achievement
you, and all those who are  participating in this huge undertaking,
are  now making. I'm sure that he will be there in spirit. How happy
he would be to know that a new generation  of scholars  will expand,
enrich  and re-interpret  his contributions in such a rapidly changing
world. We, Joshua's family, are very grateful and send our very best
wishes  to all of you. I am especially pleased that our dear friend
and esteemed colleague, John Rickford will participate. Joshua
thought  so highly of him, not only for his knowledge and wisdom, but
also  for his kindness, helpfulness  and encouragement to others
while maintaining his  own personal and professional high standards
with quiet dignity. A rare combination.

Please keep me posted on the progress you are making. It means a great
deal to me.
May you be blessed with wisdom and creative energy.

Gella (Schweid Fishman)    My email address is       GellaSFishman at aol.com