[lg policy] No announcements in Hindi on Metro's Reach 2; Banglore Metro Rail Corporation says station names too long

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:58:51 UTC 2016

No announcements in Hindi on Metro's Reach 2; Banglore Metro Rail
Corporation says station names too longTNN | Updated: Sep 19, 2016, 08.29
AM IST
[image: MUST SUIT ALL: Commuters say announcements must be made in all
three languages.]MUST SUIT ALL: Commuters say announcements must be made in
all three languages.
BENGALURU: A post on a closed group on Facebook, questioning Namma Metro's
language preferences, led to a fierce debate on Saturday evening. The
writer of the post sought to know why BMRC had suddenly stopped
announcements in Hindi on its western corridor. As the issue threatened to
snowball into a language row, the entire thread was deleted by the group
admin.

"On Saturday, while travelling on the Metro from Magadi Road
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Magadi-Road> to Indiranagar, I
realized there were no announcements in Hindi. They were only in Kannada
and English. It was a bit strange and is unfair to those who might not
understand the local language," said Vikas Chandra
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Vikas-Chandra>, who commutes
thrice a week between the two stations.

"Everybody may not know English and that's why announcements should be made
in all three languages," he added.

BMRC officials confirmed to TOI that in some stations they are making
announcements only in Kannada and English. "It's more evident on Reach 2
(western corridor) where stations have long names like Sri Balagangadhara
Natha Swamiji Station - Hosahalli. To reduce announcement time, we chose
only two languages for this particular reach," said UA Vasanth Rao, BMRC
spokesperson.

"However, Reach 1 between MG Road and Byappanahalli have announcements in
all three languages. It's a cosmopolitan city and we cannot restrict
ourselves to Kannada alone. We have been following the Centre's language
policy," he said.
Top CommentKannadigas are an easy prey to the forces of Hindi hegemony. Why
Hindi gets a prominent place in the metro of our city? Is Kannada used in
Delhi Metro for the benefit of Kannadigas living in Delhi? K... Read
Morekotresh
gonchighar

Devika S, who relocated from New Delhi a few months ago, is disappointed
with BMRC's move. Devika who commutes between City Railway Station
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/City-Railway-Station> and Mysuru
Road daily, said, "I used to wait for the Hindi announcements as they
reminded me of the same back home. Now they have stopped it and I don't
understand why. I wish they bring them back. I know where to get off but
the voice alone was quite pacifying," she said.

Some of the Metro stations with long names include Dr BR Ambedkar Station -
Vidhana Soudha, Kempegowda Station - Majestic, Sir M Visvesvaraya - Central
College Station
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Visvesvaraya--Central-College-Station>
and Mahatma Gandhi (MG) Road Station.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/No-announcements-in-Hindi-on-Metros-Reach-2-Banglore-Metro-Rail-Corporation-says-station-names-too-long/articleshow/54399206.cms