[lg policy] The Cultural Matrix: Understanding Black Youth (+ interesting series of reviews)

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Tue Jan 10 08:53:01 UTC 2017

A new book of potential interest for research and teaching across diverse areas of
linguistics, including variation, language policy, linguistic ethnography etc., but
which may have been off the radar for many:
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674728752. It's about African
American youth, but a main purpose is to advance theory so should be mappable to
other contexts.

The journal Ethnic and Racial Studies has also just published a very interesting
collection of short articles reviewing the book from different cultural and
theoretical standpoints: http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rers20/39/8 (scroll down
about 1/3 to 'Symposium: Orlando Patterson And Ethan Fosse (Eds) The Cultural Matrix:
Understanding Black Youth'. These also pick up on aspects of language, e.g. the
contribution 'Culture, structure and black youth diversity' by Stephen Small asserts
that "a greater focus on gender, cultural and linguistic diversity, among Black youth
would lead to a more compelling analysis". My eyebrows also rose at "The culture
question: a view from the UK" by Claire Alexander, which "highlights some of the
dangers of privileging an overly cultural account of racialized inequality" - the
'cultural turn' critique is seriously overlooked in sociolinguistics I think.

By the way, I find myself pretty regularly linking to stuff in Ethnic and Racial
Studies. I'd strongly suggest a wide range of sociolinguists with any interest in
ethnicity or multiculturalism subscribe to its ToC updates with e.g.
http://zetoc.jisc.ac.uk/ (with the usual cringe about shilling for Routledge/Informa,
who I recently learned are floated on the stock exchange!).

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk

---