[lg policy] South Asia risks losing indigenous languages

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:53:14 UTC 2019

SA risks losing indigenous languages
PanSALB, this week released a Comprehensive Report on the Use of Official
Languages Act 12 of 2012, during a media briefing in Tshwane.
1 day ago
PHOTO: Flickr

SOUTH Africa runs the risk of losing its indigenous languages, says Pan
South African Language Board (PanSALB) Project Manager, Dr Sally Maepa.

This has been attributed to the lack of the implementation of the Use of
Official Languages Act 12 of 2012 (UOLA) by government department as well
as citizens.

“We need to ensure that our languages are promoted, developed and equally
used so we must ensure that the departments are complying,” Maepa said.

PanSALB, this week released a Comprehensive Report on the Use of Official
Languages Act 12 of 2012, during a media briefing in Tshwane.

Read also: Don’t be fooled by bogus police trainee intake add
<https://northglennews.co.za/148568/dont-fooled-bogus-police-trainee-intake-ad/>

According to Maepa, almost all departments perceived UOLA and the
multilingual language policy implementation as sheer provision of
translation and interpreting services, rather than creating equitable space
for the official language to grow and create value.

“Most godepartments admitted to not having done anything about implementing
UOLA. There appeared no inclination to allocate sufficient human and
financial resources towards multilingual language policy development and
implementation,” she said.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com