[Lgpolicy] Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor Positions in Multilingual Education

Bridget Goodman bridget.goodman at nu.edu.kz
Fri Sep 8 12:25:07 UTC 2023

Nazarbayev University (NU) is an English-medium university that was
established in 2010 for the purpose of becoming a world-class, research
intensive university in the Central Asian region. The MA in Multilingual
Education program within the NU Graduate School of Education (GSE) began
accepting students from Kazakhstan and abroad in 2014 to prepare them for
careers in schools and universities that teach in three languages (Kazakh,
Russian, English) and to work with students from 130 additional ethnic
backgrounds in the country. Our graduates not only pursue careers in
teaching; they are also educational entrepreneurs, research assistants on
national and international grant-funded projects, and students in Master’s
and PhD programs at top universities abroad. Several have solo or
co-authored publications in international peer-reviewed journals in the
field.

We are looking for individuals to join our team and work alongside us to
continue to grow the research capacity and expertise in multilingual
education in the country. We invite you to apply if you have a PhD in
Bilingual Education, Applied Linguistics, or a closely related field, and
teaching and research expertise in one or more of the following areas:
Language Policy, Sociolinguistics, Curriculum and Assessment, Plurilingual
and Translanguaging Pedagogies, First and Second Language Acquisition,
CALL/MALL, and Postcolonial/Decolonizing Theories. Note that you may also
be asked to teach courses in other concentrations (Higher Education,
Inclusive Education, School Education) and programs (PhD) as well as
Research Methods courses. Applicants are not required to have previous
research experience in Kazakhstan, but should demonstrate preparedness to
conduct research and teaching that will directly impact multilingual
education in the country.

Assistant Professor applicants should hold a PhD at the time the position
begins in January or August 2024, and have at least one international
peer-reviewed publication.

Associate and Full Professor applicants should have multiple international
peer-reviewed publications and demonstrated grant management and student
supervision expertise.

While Kazakhstan labor code does not allow for a tenure-track system, NU
offers an initial 3 year contract with opportunities for renewal of 3-5
year periods and promotion. NU also offers a competitive salary plus
housing and airfare to one’s home city two times a year for faculty and
dependents, multiple research grant funding streams, and partially
subsidized education for dependents.

If interested, please submit your CV and cover letter specifying the rank
you are interested and your motivation for applying for the position
through the NUGSE SmartRecruiters link: *https://smrtr.io/gbgk5*
<https://smrtr.io/gbgk5>. The deadline is Friday, September 22, 2023.

If you have any questions about the program, you may ask me or Program
Director Michelle Bedeker (michelle.bedeker at nu.edu.kz). If you have any
questions about the search process, please direct them to gsehr at nu.edu.kz.

 Bridget Goodman | Associate Professor

<https://gse.nu.edu.kz/en/profile/bridget-goodman.html>

<https://maps.google.com/?q=53+Kabanbay+Batyr+Avenue,+Astana,+Kazakhstan&entry=gmail&source=g>
| *Office:*  Block C3, room 5031

*Follow NU*:   <https://www.facebook.com/nuedukz/>
<https://www.facebook.com/nuedukz>  <https://www.instagram.com/nuedukz/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/school/nazarbayev-university/>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/NazarbayevUniversity>
<https://twitter.com/nuedukz>  <https://vk.com/nuedukz>

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*
This e-mail message and all attached files are intended only for the person
to whom it is addressed and may contain information protected by law, and
any confidential information. If this e-mail message was sent to the wrong
person we warn that any unauthorized use of this e-mail message and
attached files is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please destroy all copies of the original message from your
computer.