[Lgpolicy] Using language to help people, or using people to help language? A capabilities framework of language policy

Dave Sayers via Lgpolicy lgpolicy at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Sep 12 09:05:14 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

I'm shamelessly spamming across a few lists about an article I've recently had
published. I'm doing this because it's open access and because, as I note in the
acknowledgements, this is The Big One that took me at least 13 years to put together
-- so you're unlikely to receive too many more emails like this from me!

Here is the article in IJAL: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijal.12463

And here's a piece I wrote for The Conversation based on it:
https://theconversation.com/protecting-endangered-languages-feels-right-but-does-it-really-help-people-211063

(The latter comes with all the usual advance warning about over-simplifications, and
encouragement to check the IJAL piece for more detail and clarity!)

Some of you will have seen me presenting versions of this at different conferences
and seminars over the years. As I hope I made clear during those talks (and in the
article) I'm really not trying to undermine the pursuit of minority language rights,
even if it might superficially feel that way at first. I'm really hoping to develop a
more nuanced and holistic pursuit of language rights alongside a broader spread of
human freedoms which I think are best addressed using the "capabilities" framework
borrowed from development studies. This framework was first mentioned in relation to
LPP -- as far as I could find out -- by Tove Skutnabb-Kangas in 2005 (I note this in
the article), and I've tried to build on that to develop a coherent overall framework
for understanding the rationales of all language policy and planning.

Anyway I hope it's of some interest. By all means feel free to get in touch with any
ideas emerging from it.

All the best,
Dave

Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer & Docent, Dept Language & Communication Studies, U. Jyväskylä, Finland |www.jyu.fi
Chair, EU COST Action CA19102 'Language in the Human-Machine Era' |www.lithme.eu
Founder & Moderator, TeachLing |https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/teachling
dave.sayers at cantab.net  |https://jyu.academia.edu/DaveSayers