[Lgpolicy] Is AI policy language policy?

Francis M. Hult via Lgpolicy lgpolicy at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Sep 26 11:51:25 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Below is a thought-provoking article about AI and the nature of language
and meaning-making.  It makes me wonder if, as a field, we should be taking
a bigger role in the conversation about artificial intelligence ethics and
policy.  Who is working on AI language policy at the moment?  What are your
thoughts on the relevance of our work in this regard?

Best,
Francis

--
*Francis M. Hult, PhD, FRGS* | Professor
Department of Education

Editor, Educational Linguistics Book Series
<https://www.springer.com/series/5894>
Co-Editor, Contributions to the Sociology of Language Book Series
<https://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/16644>

Web Profile <https://education.umbc.edu/faculty-list/francis-m-hult/> |
Academia.edu <http://umbc.academia.edu/FrancisMHult> | Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2x7pOMwAAAAJ&h> | TESOL at UMBC
<http://tesol.umbc.edu/>

Wired

Confessions of a Viral AI Writer

The existence of language-generating AI depends on huge amounts of
computational power and special hardware that only the world’s wealthiest
people and institutions can afford. Whatever the creative goals of
technologists, their research depends on that funding.

The language of empowerment, in that context, starts to sound familiar.
It’s not unlike Facebook’s mission to “give people the power to build
community and bring the world closer together,” or Google’s vision of
making the world’s information “universally accessible and useful.” If AI
constitutes a dramatic technical leap—and I believe it does—then, judging
from history, it will also constitute a dramatic leap in corporate capture
of human existence. Big Tech has already transmuted some of the most
ancient pillars of human relationships—friendship, community, influence—for
its own profit. Now it’s coming after language itself.

Full story:
https://www.wired.com/story/confessions-viral-ai-writer-chatgpt/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us