Forms of Address: Final Summary

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Tue Nov 30 04:57:36 UTC 1999

First of all, I want to thank everyone again who responded to my inquiry.

I should clarify that my primary research topic is NOT forms of address, although I am now quite interested in looking further into this issue. My research is on language policy in Taiwan (a copy of my dissertation proposal is available on my web page for those who are interested <http://kerim.oxus.net>). In this post I summarize the key points made by people who responded to my query, and at the bottom is a bibliography I have put together of references on address forms. I have arranged responses by topics without the names of the contributors, but I do want to give proper attribution to the contributors as a group: Scott F Kiesling, Helen Faller, Harold F. Schiffman, Esther Hyunzee Kim, Ana Maria Martirena, John Thiels, Kristine Fitch, Susan M. Ervin-Tripp, Debbie Walker, Carol Anne, Russell Kelly, Tina Cavaluzzi.

Thank¹s again. - Kerim

PS: Today¹s (Nov 28,1999 - ³Hey, Mister! You¹re No Comrade²) NY Times had an article about the declining use of the word ³Comrade² as a form of address in Mainland China.

-------------------

SUMMARY of RESPONSES

(1) Strategies reported to avoid revealing ignorance:

>>>I tend to use "um" as a way to start a sentence when I need to address someone I don't know. Or I might say "hi" or "hello" and flash my biggest smile. In the street, I never say sir or mam, nor do I address people by profession. Instead, I simply say "excuse me."

>>>I have actually used buddy when I don't know someone's name as well as a term  of friendly greeting for acquaintances and some friends I do know (hey there  buddy)

>>>I tend to draw out my "hi"s,  making them longer and possibly showing more warmth to (make a poor attempt  to) cover up the discomfort of not being able to say the name.

>>>calling just about every one "dear"

>>>i usually introduce myself, hoping for a similar response, or "hi...i'm sorry, i don't know your name."  these are for a more social situation.

>>>in more formal/sevice-type situations, i might say just "excuse me" to get people's attention without using a name or form of address.

(2) Deliberate use of no-name:

>>>(deliberate use of no name, either because you're not on a first-name basis, but don't want to use Title and Last, or something else; or because you don't know the name...)

>>>I don't dare use "babe" because it would be IMHO sexist on my part;  I did the other day say to a woman who was pushing to get past me as I got off a SEPTA train "I'm gettin' off too, HONEY" which sort of surprised me.  (I think this was "ironic" or sarcastic "honey" which I sort of find justified, but otherwise I wouldn't use it.)

>>>Another point is that when people are irritated they may use different words,

like "Get out of the way, lady"

or "Get out of the way, buddy."

Not to speak of more insulting address terms!!

>>>In other settings, 'tone'can be an important consideration. How you might you a form of address like : "Are you all right?" - inquiring of someone's needs or about their troubles (See John R. Lee and Gail Jefferson on Troubles telling) - will be 'toned' approptiately to the addressee, e.g. more gently and softly to a young girl from an older man, more ofrthrightly and formally from man to man, and gradations in between. Again the appropriateness of the 'tone' is not measurable in the sense of the gradation but only in the sense in which it is responded to as having been an appropriate way to ask. It is a classic ethnomethodological problem in that members try it out and what follows demonstrates that other members 'categorise' the address and its addressor as the right thing to have done, there, then, to that addressee.

>>>famous examples from congress -- the esteemed congressman from georgia, or my esteemed colleague.

(3) Age, Gender, and Regional Differences:

> [...]

>>>maybe our culture, with its value on individualism, prefers addressing by name, whereas some other cultures, with less value on individualism as on collectivism, prefer addressing by generic address terms?

>>>I reserve "sir" for  visibly older men and "ma'am" for much, much older women...Miss is still  possible for younger women.

>>>I think there is more sociolinguistic variation here than is easily detected  by self-reports, which from linguistically oriented people may not be  representative;  Southern patterns may well tend to be different from the  Northern self-appointed standard; specifically some people still use "sir"  and "ma'am" for people they do not know regardless of group membership (I do;  perhaps the Army usage generalized from the high number of Southern recruits  in the Army).  Social class may play a large role as well, although the  "service industry" is not only one place.

>>>I'm from Texas and it's very common there for female service people, even youngish ones (25-30 up) to address female customers as "hon" (or "honey") and in the same breath address male customers as "sir."  I never noticed while I was growing up; when I go back there now, of course, it drives me nuts.

>>>my son uses the term "dude" as an address term, which is inconceivable to me.

>>>You posed a question re addressing children.  I find with young children I often seem to use pet names, especially when "disciplining" - "sweetie don't run near the pool like that", "honey, be careful with that".  With preteen children and older, I find I often use young man or young lady, "Excuse me, young man, where's the restroom?"

>>>peaking as a 40+ female grad student, in the past I would address an older child I didn't know (if, as in your example they dropped something, or the like) as 'kid'. I'm not sure how appropriate that would be now, but most 'kids' would not have a problem with it, I am sure. (regarding your number 5)

>>>I use the utmost deference for much older people, so aunty would not seem appropriate to me, I'd just use Miss, Ma'am, or Sir, for the elderly. If I do not know the female's marital status, I'd say Miss, because, in the older generations, I believe, that would seem more flattering. To someone my own age or younger, I'd probably forgo the title, and go with 'excuse me', or whatever.

>>>With waiters, I would sometimes avoid that appellation altogether, for fear of sounding rude, and just say "excuse me" to get his or her attention, so I agree basically with your #4. (I would use 'nurse' or 'doctor' myself as well.)

Blue collar workplaces tend to have constructions like "Oy, You" where the direction-toward indicates the recipient who might recognize and pick up the call-sign or ignore it.

With boy-children, "Sonny" is a familiar English usage.

-------------------

BIBLIOGRAPHY (About 90 references to forms of address, not necessarily dealing with the problems addressed in this thread.)

>>>  I would always begin with Harvey Sacks' dissertation, In Search of Help: No-One to Turn To, where Sacks talks of nominal categorisation devices. Rod Watson's (or D. R. Watson) wealth of publications frequently refer to matters of categorisation.

  _	Asian forms of address_.  	2nd ed.  	Canberra: 	Australian Government Publishing Service, 1983.

Aaron, Carole A.   _	The inertial principle and in-law modes of address_, 1969.

Aim-on, Truwichien.   _	Address and reference in Thai the socio-cultural significance of variation in meaning attribution_, 1985.

Baker, Lee D. "Racism in Professional Settings: Forms of Address as Clues to Power Relations." _The Journal of applied behavioral science_ 31.2 (1995): 186.

Bates, Elizabeth, and Laura Benigni. "Rules for address in Italy: a sociological survey." _Language in Society_ 4.3 (1975): 271-88.

Bean, Susan.   _Symbolic and Pragmatic Semantics: A Kannada System_.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1978.

Berman, Laine.   _	Speaking through the silence : narratives, social conventions, and power in Java_.  	New York: 	Oxford University Press, 1998.

Blocker, Dianne.   _	And how shall I address you? : a study of address systems at Indiana University_.  	Austin, Tex.: 	Prepared and distributed at Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1976.

Braun, Friederike.   _Terms of address : problems of patterns and usage in various languages and cultures_.  Berlin ; New York: Mouton de Gruyter, 1988.

Brown, Roger, and Marguerite Ford. "Address in American English." _Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology_ 62 (1961): 454-62.

Brown, Roger, and Albert Gilman. "The pronouns of power and solidarity." _American Anthropologist_ 4.6 (1960): 24-9.

Carpenter, Betsy Owens.   _	Linguistic implications of variant address forms used in the classroom_, 1983.

Cubero López, Sonia G.   _	Address forms and politeness routines : a comparative study of regular and Chapter 1 teachers_, 1995.

Daba, Habib Ahmed.   _	Sociolinguistic study of address terms in Hausa_, 1987.

Dahl, Katherine. "Who's Who and Who's Not Who in Secretarial Handbooks: The Forms of Address Section--An Analysis." _Rq_ 30.1 (1990): 70.

Dai, Xiaoxue.   _	The single-child policy and its impact on Chinese kinship terms among kindergarten children in Shanghai_, 1998.

Dauer, Sheila.   _	Haya greetings : the negotiation of relative status_, 1986.

Dickey, E. "Forms of address and terms of reference." _Journal of linguistics_ 33.2 (1997): 255.

Dickey, Eleanor.   _	Greek forms of address : from Herodotus to Lucian_.  	Oxford New York: 	Clarendon Press : Oxford University Press, 1996.

Dickson, Paul.   _	Labels for locals : what to call people from Abilene to Zimbabwe_.  	Springfield, Mass.: 	Merriam-Webster, 1997.

Dorji, Rigzin.   _	Forms of address in Bhutan_.  	New Delhi: 	Royal Bhutan Mission, 1976.

Dunkling, Leslie.   _A dictionary of epithets and terms of address_.  London ; New York: Routledge, 1990.

Dunkling, Leslie.   _A dictionary of terms of address_.  London ; New York: Routledge, 1990.

Ellsworth, Elizabeth Ann.   _	Teaching positions : difference, pedagogy, and the power of address_.  	New York: 	Teachers College Press, 1997.

Ervin-Tripp, Susan.  "Sociolinguistics." _Advances in Experimental Social Psychology_.  Ed. L Berkowitz, 1969.  93-107.  Vol. 4.

Fang, H. Q., and J. H. Heng. "Social changes and changing address norms in China." _Language in Society_ 12.4 (1983): 495-508.

Fasold, Ralph W.   _The sociolinguistics of language_.  Ed. Ralph W. Fasold.  Cambridge, MA, USA: B. Blackwell, 1990.

Fiske, Shirley.   _	Rules of address : Navaho women in Los Angeles by Shirley Fiske_.  	Los Angeles: 	School of Public Administration : published in cooperation with the Public Policy Institute of the Center for Public Affairs University of Southern California, 1976.

Fitch, Kristine Louise.   _	Communicative enactment of interpersonal ideology : personal address in urban Colombian society_, 1989.

Geertz, Clifford.  "Linguistic etiquette." _The Religion of Java_.  Ed. Clifford Geertz.  Glencoe, Il: The Free Press, 1960.  248-60.

Geiger, Richard. "Third-person reference in German." _Papers in Linguistics_ 12.3-4 (1979): 535-52.

Hathaway, Julie E.   _	The effects of a female instructor's title on student perceptions of the instructor_, 1996.

Hwang, Juck-Ryoon.   _	Role of sociolinguistics in foreign language education with reference to Korean and English terms of address and levels of deference_, 1975.

Idárraga, Lucía Hurtado.   _	Synchronic variation in Colombian speech : a sociolinguistic analysis of the usage of the pronouns of address tu, vos, and usted in Medellin (Antioquia) and Manizales (Caldas)_, 1994.

Imamura, Atsuko.   _	Address and reference in rural Japan : dynamics of social interaction_, 1990.

Jahan-Ara, Begum.   _	Pronominal usage and appelltives sic in Bangla_.  	1st ed.  	Dhaka: 	Karim Book Corp., 1991.

Jaramillo, June Aurora.   _	Second person address in New Mexican Spanish_.  	Albuquerque, N.M.: 	Southwest Hispanic Research Institute, 1988.

Jonz, John. "Situated address in the United States Marine Corps." _Anthropological Linguistics_ 17.2 (1975): 68-77.

Kaula, Omakara Aina.   _	Modes of address and pronominal usage in Punjabi : a sociolinguistic study_.  	Mysore: 	Central Institute of Indian Languages, 1989.

Keevallik, Leelo. "International Journal of the Sociology of Language - Estonian Sociolinguistic - The use and abuse of singular and plural address forms in Estonian." _International journal of the sociology of language_  (1999): 125.

Khubchandani, Lachman Mulchand.   _	Toward a selection grammar : fluidity in modes of address and reference in Hindi-Urdu_.  	Pune: 	Centre for Communication Studies, 1981.

Kielkiewicz-Janowiak, Agnieszka.   _	A socio-historical study in address : Polish and English_.  	Frankfurt am Main ; New York: 	P. Lang, 1992.

Kirk, Richard Yost.   _	Forms of address in Russian a sociolinguistic analysis_, 1979.

Kral, Thomas James.   _	Sociolinguistic patterns in Turkish address_, 1975.

Lambert, Wallace, and G. Richard Tucker.   _Tu, vous, usted: A Social-Psychological Study of Address Patterns_.  Rowley, MA: Newbury House, 1976.

Leeds-Hurwitz, Wendy.   _	The use and analysis of uncommon forms of address : a business example_.  	Austin, Tex.: 	Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1980.

Leeds-Hurwitz, Wendy.   _The use and analysis of uncommon forms of address: a business example_.  Vol. 80.  Austin, TX: Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1980.

Lin, Albert Chih-Cheng.   _	Markedness relations in the grammar of address terms_, 1992.

Listen, Paul.   _	The emergence of German polite Sie : cognitive and sociolinguistic parameters_.  	New York: 	P. Lang, 1999.

Lowe, Maria Reneé.   _	Title preference among women in the United States_, 1988.

Lubecka, Anna.   _	Forms of address in English, French and Polish : a sociolinguistic approach_.  	Wyd. 1. ed.  	Kraków: 	Nakl. Uniewersytetu Jagiellonskiego, 1993.

Luong, Hy V.   _	Discursive practices and linguistic meanings : the Vietnamese system of person reference_.  	Amsterdam ; Philadelphia: 	J. Benjamins Pub. Co., 1990.

Martiny, T. "Forms of address in French and Dutch: A sociopragmatic approach." _Language sciences_ 18.3-4 (1996): 765.

Medeiros, Sandi Michelle de Oliveira.   _	A model of address form negotiation : a sociolinguistic study of continental Portuguese_, 1985.

Mitchell, Stephen. "Address and decison-making in modern Swedish." _Anthropological Linguistics_ 21.2 (1979): 61-9.

Morand, David A. "Forms of Address and Status Leveling in Organizations." _Business horizons_ 38.6 (1995): 34.

Morand, David A. "What's in a Name?: An Exploration of the Social Dynamics of Forms of Address in Organizations." _Management communication quarterly_ 9.4 (1996): 422.

Muhammed Yunus, Maris.   _	The forms of personal address and reference in standard spoken Malay_, 1958.

Musumeci, Diane. "Ciao, professoressa! A Study of Forms of Address in Italian and its Implications for the Language Classroom." _Italica : bulletin of the American Association of Teachers of Italian_ 68.4 (1991): 434-456.

Neal, Sarah T.   _	Terms of address in nine languages : focus on gender differences_, 1993.

Nickerson, C., and F. Bargiela-Chiappini. "At the intersection between grammar and pragmatics: A contrastive study of personal pronouns and other forms of address in Dutch and Italian." _Language sciences_ 18.3-4 (1996): 743.

Ogura, Toshiyuki.   _	Forms of address in American English and Japanese_, 1987.

Oluwole Oyetade, Solomon. "A sociolinguistic analysis of address forms in Yoruba." _Language in society_ 24.4 (1995): 515.

Parkinson, Dilworth B.   _	Constructing the social context of communication : terms of address in Egyptian Arabic_.  	Berlin ; New York: 	Mouton de Gruyter, 1985.

Parkinson, Dilworth B.   _	Terms of address in Egyptian Arabic_, 1984.

Patterson, Margaret Ann.   _	Conflicts in title and address in revolutionary Nicaragua_, 1986.

Paulston, Christina Bratt.   _	Language and social class : pronouns of address in Swedish_.  	Austin, Texas: 	prepared and distributed at Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1975.

Paulston, Christina Bratt.   _Language and social Class: pronouns of address in Sweedish_.  Vol. 29.  Austin, TX: Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1975.

Podobinska, Zofia.   _	Use of address forms in directive speech acts in Swahili_, 1997.

Potter, Terrence M. ""Si Mohammed!": Names as Address Forms in Moroccan Arabic." _Names_ 47.2 (1999): 157.

Primorac, Karen Johnson.   _	Tu, vos, and vuestra merced : social and stylistic variation in medieval Spanish_, 1996.

Qian, Ruheng.   _	Contemporary Chinese forms of address_.  	Leeds: 	Dept. of East Asian Studies University of Leeds, 1995.

Scott, James Calvert. "Dear ...: Understanding British Forms of Address." _The Bulletin of the Association for Business Communication_ 61.3 (1998): 50.

Scotton, Carol M., and Wanjin Zhu. "Tongzhi in China: language change and its conversational consequences." _Language in Society_ 12.4 (1983): 477-94.

Sequeira, Debra-Lynn Marie.   _	Personal address in American culture : a case study_, 1987.

Sheba, Laide.   _	How Yoruba women address themselves_, 1993.

Silverstein, Michael.  "Language and the Culture of Gender: At the Intersection of Structure, Usage, and Ideology." _Semiotic Mediation: Sociocultural and Psychological Perspectives_.  Ed. E. Mertz and R. J. Parmentier.  orlando, Fla: Academic Press, 1985.  219-259.

Siriwardena, Reggie.   _	Addressing the other : a three language study in power, personal relations, and second person pronouns_.  	Colombo, Sri Lanka: 	International Centre for Ethnic Studies, 1992.

Slobin, Dan. "Some aspects of the use of fpronouns of address in Yiddish." _Word_ 19 (1963): 193-202.

Slobin, Dan, Stephen Miller, and Lyman Porter. "Forms of address and social relations in a business organization." _Journal of Personality and Social Psychology_ 8.3 (1968): 289-93.

Spangler, Susanne Louise.   _	A contrastive analysis of the forms of address in English and German_, 1976.

Strick, Gregory J.   _	An investigation of the semantic structure of American address terms among American native-speakers of English and Iranian speakers of English as a second language_, 1977.

Suastra, I. Made.   _	Kinship and address terms : a preliminary study of the Balinese case_.  	Bundoora, Vic.: 	School of Asian Studies La Trobe University, 1996.

Tekle-Tsadik, Shimellis.   _	The implication of the class system for the usage of Amharic forms of address_, 1980.

Turner, E. S., and T. L. Shanson. "International Guide to Forms of Address." _TLS, the Times literary supplement_  (1998): 7.

Whittier, Patricia Ruth.   _	Systems of appellation among the Kenyah Dayak of Borneo_, 1981.

Winchatz, Michaela R.   _	Social meanings in talk : an ethnographic analysis of the German pronouns Du and Sie_, 1997.

Wood, Linda, and Ellen Ryan. "Talk to Elders: Social Structure, Attitudes and Forms of Address." _Ageing and society_  (1991): 167-188.

Yusuf, Ahmed Beita.   _	Modes of address among the Kano Hausa : case study in sociolinguistics_, 1979.

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.mail at oxus.net>
			<http://kerim.oxus.net>