access to industry

Claire Cowie claire.cowie at phil.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Apr 6 12:37:18 UTC 2000

Dear linganthers

I am a part of a team of researchers at the Chemnitz University of Technology, who, together with South African partners, would like to apply to the Volkswagen stiftung for funding for a project on cross-cultural communication at a car-manufacturing plant in South Africa. We would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has undertaken studies of communication in large industries. In particular, we seek advice about approaching an industrial plant and asking for access and permission to record their working life. We realise we need to attractively present "what's in it for them". I'm sure many people have had to think hard about this one, and even better, have written it down!

We would be very happy to share our experiences with everyone on the list.

-Claire Cowie

Dr. Claire Cowie
Englische Sprachwissenschaft
TU-Chemnitz