[PL] Throwing Darts In The Dark

Carol Erting carol.erting at gallaudet.edu
Mon Feb 7 17:44:32 UTC 2000

I took the liberty of forwarding this posting to William C. Stokoe who first
described American Sign Language as a linguistic system in 1960.  His response
follows:

Geary opens up a whole can of worms. Sure, the external stimuli are
sorted into various separate categories, but once the sensory system has
begun to work on them, they are all integrated--as they should be if the
total human system is to function and survive. I'm sure Mike's niece has
a number of deaf friends, but by and large, one meets 999 hearing people
to every one that is deaf. The English language itself has never been in
any doubt that language is something heard, and so deaf as well as
hearing persons are conditioned to think of incoming language as being
heard.

I'm not sure what Chomsky has to do with it. He is onto language
structure; Geary is onto the psychological consequences of
communicating. For my money Chomsky gets the cart before the horse.
Seems to me I remember a term called synechdoche--the way some people
associate a particular color with a certain sound or vice versa. Once
the information gets inside the head there's no telling what may happen
to it. Besides the niece is right. When she is with hearing people, it
makes sense to use the language the way they do. Otherwise there is
likely to be no meeting of the minds.

Carol Erting
Gallaudet University