Creolization? Or Globalization?

Alex Enkerli aenkerli at indiana.edu
Sun Feb 20 07:28:38 UTC 2000

Well, while we can't generalize, it seems that linguists and
linguistic anthropologists engage differently with issues of
creolization.
In linguistics, there's both a significant amount of debate among
creolists themselves (for instance through the CreoList mailing-list)
and some degree of marginalization of creolists by some mainstream
linguists. Again, I don't want to generalize but it seems that these
linguists are mostly interested in creolization as representative of
a specific model of language change that, for instance, may challenge
language taxonomies.
In linguistic anthropology and sociolinguistics, however, there seems
to be more interest on issues of creolization and language contact,
especially as these issues relate to broader cultural phenomena such
as the negotiation of identity and language ideologies.
Yet, the term "creolization" may be heavily charged and some scholars
try to avoid the usual connotations afforded the term. An interesting
outcome of this is that a conception of cultural dynamics informed by
sociolinguistic issues is giving birth to a rather large body of
scholarship.
Anyone has good references handy?

Alex Enkerli	aenkerli at indiana.edu
Graduate student
Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Indiana University