pronouns and imperatives

Celso Alvarez Caccamo lxalvarz at udc.es
Thu Jun 15 02:12:07 UTC 2000

Hi,

Margaret Field says,

> In the past, linguists often counted "problem statements"
> like "I'm hungry" or "it broke" as examples of indirect
> directives as well, especially on the part of children, but
> as Ervin-Tripp points out in a more recent paper (sorry I
> don't have access to my references at the moment, but can
> send them to interested parties later), this interpretation
> perhaps attributes more intention than may
> actually be there, much of the time).

Sue (or whoever), I'm curious, at about what age does "more
intention" start to enter such types of (indirect?)
illocutionary acts (not only directives)? How did you come to
conclude that? In any particular way different from any
typical reconstruction of inferences in indirect acts in
general?

Thanks,
-celso

--
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo              Tel. +34 981 167000 ext. 1888
Linguística Geral, Faculdade de Filologia     FAX +34 981 167151
Universidade da Corunha                          lxalvarz at udc.es
15071 A Corunha, Galiza (Espanha)  http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac/