Teen anthropology?

Laada Bilaniuk bilaniuk at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 7 23:44:46 UTC 2000

Re: Teen anthropology...

Hi Don,

I am using Michael Agar's "Language Shock" as a text for my Intro to
Linguistic Anthro class this year, and the students love it.  Some of them
are just out of high school.  This is the first time that undergraduate
students have expressed such enthusiasm about a book--some even to tell me
they're having their friends read it.  This book is written in an engaging
way, and manages to cover anthro history and issues of language and culture
quite well.  However, the lightness of the writing style belies the
difficulty of some of the concepts.  Especially students whose native
language is not English have had some difficulty with it, due to the
"non-academic" style of writing and US-origin of author perspective.
Worth checking out for anyone teaching introductory linganth in the US,
possibly good for high school as well.

Laada

--
Laada Bilaniuk