AAA panel

Valentina Pagliai vpagliai at ucla.edu
Sat Nov 4 19:45:18 UTC 2000

Hi,

I thought I would send you the information about the panel I organized
together with Cynthia Strathmann. It includes contributions by both
Linguistic and Cultural Anthropologists.

"Repositioning Masculinity as Public Display: Anthropological Perspectives"

Organizers: Valentina Pagliai & Cynthia Strthmann
Chair: Cynthia Strathmann

Session Scheduled: thursday 4:00pm to 5:45pm
	Room: Continental Parlor 3, Ballroom Level

4:00pm -- Jack Sidnell (Northwestern U) On the Passage from Adolescence to
Manhood: The Social
	Organization of Gender in Activity.

4:15pm -- Cindi L. Sturtz (UC Davis) Being and Becoming (Japanese) Men at 67.

4:30pm -- Valentina Pagliai (UCLA) Singing the 'Original' Male:
Doing/Undoing Masculinity in
	Speech Play.

4:45pm -- Andrew Bickford (Rutgers U) 'I Was an East German Soldier:' or
Rather, 'How Unification
	Ruined My Life.'

5:00pm -- Cynthia Strathmann (UCLA) Show Ponies and Experts: Consuming
Masculinity in the
	Mass Media.

5:15pm -- Roger N. Lancaster (George Mason) Homo Faber, Family Man.

5:30pm -- Discussant: Scott F. Kiesling (U. of Pittsburg)

Bye,
Valentina