inter-rater agreement

Michele Koven mkoven at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 20 20:45:54 UTC 2000

I was wondering what experience people on this list have had with different
ways of calculating inter-rater agreement for languagey data. With another
coder,  I'm trying to get decent reliability for coding lexical register in
French and have four different register categories.  Given that my values
aren't well distributed across my four categories (as one might expect),
this is giving me poor success with Cohen's kappa.  Unfortunately,
percentage agreement doesn't cut it for many.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Michele Koven

Michèle Koven