Getting rid of accents

Mark Allen Peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Tue May 15 03:57:00 UTC 2001

Dear All

Some time ago we had a discussion on places that try to teach you how to get rid of your foreign accents.
I thought I'd share the following site, recommended by an Indian news service to its clients who want to talk like Americans ("without" an accent!?)  The site advertises itself:

"For children, illiterates, workers, students all ages
and to get rid of, not have a foreign accent"

The whole site is filled with assumptions interesting to those of us who study language ideology and the promotion of American monoglot standard.

http://www.americanspokenenglish.com/

Best,

Mark Allen Peterson
American University in Cairo