Getting rid of accents

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon May 21 13:02:18 UTC 2001

It's all going global. Today's NYTimes has an article about how Ireland is
becoming the phone message center for lots of German firms, and Germans
(from E. Germany, where there is still high unemployment) go to Ireland
(sic!) to work and answer phones from German customers.  (Hello?  Why
can't the GErmans call directly to E. Germany?  Because it's too expensive
to pay Germans German wages in GErmany!  So pay them Irish wages in
Ireland, and save money.  Meanwhile, other E. Germans are laying bricks in
the Netherlands etc. where there is a shortage of bricklayers.

Hal S.